Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Lettuce and worms

In honor of 70 degree weather today - I planted lettuce. And I ordered worms, not in honor of the weather though, just because my compost bin needs them desperately. On Saturday, Dave and I prepared a rubber bin w/ air holes and filled it w/ strips of newspaper and old cardboard egg cartons. I added our kitchen scraps from the last 2 weeks (quite ripe, they were) and moistened the whole thing down. It's all ready for its inhabitants. I tried to find bulk red wigglers locally, but the bait shops only sell 25 at a time and I need 2000! You truly can find anything on the internet. My squirming little friends are on their way here. The compost bin will smell much better once they start munching...

2 comments:

  1. I like worms with a lemon sauce

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, that works since we have 2000 worms on their way here and we have a lemon tree :)

    ReplyDelete