Tuesday, March 17, 2009

a little seedling update

Since it's been quite a while since I talked about my seeds, I thought I'd give you a little update. I am starting to thin the turnips and am tossing the baby greens into my salads.
The chard is growing so fast, that I need to be cutting it everyday to keep up w/ it. I find that if I add it to my salads, I won't get sick of it and I get a little boost of iron to boot!The tomato plants REALLY need to be transplanted, I have to buy some additional pots and get them in. Maybe I'll just give the new transplants as gifts to people since Dave doesn't eat tomatoes - one plant will most likely be enough...
My green beans have sprouted and are coming up quickly, I need to get the trellis up. The red beets have sprouted and the spinach is growing fast also. I'll need to start thinning the lettuce in the next week or two and probably start another batch of seeds. So, all in all, things are moving along nicely, it is still interesting growing veggies in containers, I'm learning as I go. If anyone has any tips, I'd appreciate them.

3 comments:

  1. no tips for container gardening, but some congrats are in order. they look great. what did you use for soil?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Organic potting soil and mistakenly a bag of organic top soil :) Since the ground here is almost pure sand, I actually dug into the ground and filled the hole w/ potting soil for the few things that aren't in containers. Still have to water almost everyday...

    ReplyDelete