Sunday, August 2, 2009

The Noticer - review

I signed up to be a reviewer for Thomas Nelson Book Review Bloggers http://brb.thomasnelson.com/ and I just finished reading the book "The Noticer" by Andy Andrews. It is the story of an small town on the ocean in Alabama where people just live ordinary lives. An old man named Jones shows up and helps people "notice" things about their lives that they can't see. Jones has been in and out of the town for as long as people can remember, but no one really knows him. He just shows up unexpectedly and talks folks through situations, from being homeless under a bridge to learning how to speak to your spouse and saving your marriage.

This book is a fairly easy read in which each chapter tells a different story. The story line changes as the old man, Jones, drifts in and out of people's lives and there is only one person whom Jones revisits during the book. In each story there is a small nugget of wisdom that anyone who reads will be able to pull from. We all go through life with a bit of tunnel vision, the author reminds us to open our eyes, and our perspective to see the whole story, to change our perspective and to change our lives.

I read this book as a downloaded e-book. I believe that I would have enjoyed it more having the actual book in my hands as opposed to my computer. Living in a coastal town myself, it would have been easier to see myself in the characters if I had been sitting on the beach reading or by the side of the pool instead of on my living room couch, indoors, by myself. It would make a great book to read on vacation. I have never read anything else by the author, Andy Andrews, but would be willing to try after reading this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment